Philippine Society for Microbiology, Annual Convention

41st Philippine Society for Microbiology Annual Convention in Cagayan de Oro, Mindanao, Philippines

I was delighted to attend (and be a plenary speaker) at the 41st PSM Convention this year.
I was warmly welcomed by all members of the Board of the PSM. I'd like to thank in particular, Jessica Simbahan, the outgoing president, Bee Basit, the incoming president, Percival Garcia and others for recognising me at NAIA (Manila airport) and subsequently looking after me.
There were an illustrious group of foreign speakers including those from Japan (via Singapore), Sicily (via Japan and Denmark), the States (via Germany) and other European delegates from Hungary.
We were entertained, visiting restaurants, the local university and its museum of Mindanao arts and crafts.
I also met members from David Klinzing from St Luke's Medical Center, Quezon City, members from Mapua Institute for Technology. I shall be giving a talk at their Bioengineering conference on July 20th/21st 2012.
We also had a delegation from the EU, promoting collaborations with European institutions.
I don't often wear flowers
My talk focused on the ITI Biosensor project, microfluidics for infectious disease diagnosis (further described in this previous blog post) with additional content on the use of point of care (POC) tests for respiratory tract infections (RTIs) and other tropical diseases and diseases of interest in the Philippines (Dengue, HepB).
Just before a flip!
Saturday morning was spent white water rafting in Cagayan de Oro. Flipped 6 times. Great fun.
I look forward to attending next year in Tagaytay.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fobissea Primary ICT Conference 2012

Biosensor Programme